Is Post-Workout nutrition dead?
Jul 9, 2015 |
- The nutrition you consume around your workout can greatly increase your rate of progress.
- Pre-workout and intra-workout nutrition is more important that post-workout nutrition.
- By ingesting protein before and during a workout, you spare muscle protein, negate protein degradation, and set the muscle up for regeneration and remodeling.
- If intra-workout insulin is low, glucagon robs muscles of amino acids so it can convert them to glucose. Low insulin makes it possible for catabolic hormones to “steal” your gains.
- Muscles need carbs to do work, but they also need protein. During a workout, amino acid requirements go up 500%.
- Loading protein and carbs before and again during the workout also leads to fat oxidation that continues long after the workout.
- Post-workout nutrition is still important, but it needs pre-workout and intra-workout nutrition in order for it to succeed.